Normal Tea

I have successfully survived six months of medical appointments and procedures and I am now settling into normalcy (Normal Tea).

Only recently have I actually felt like taking the initiative in returning to my old routine. Spending time with friends, re-joining groups, shopping, walking (those might be one and the same!), art, and puttering around my nest. My sweet friend has gifted me a wine coloured ball of specialty yarn and I am looking forward to finding a pattern to knit a new creation. Life slowly returns to normal.

My first renewal of my 90 day prescription for Letrozole, a hormone blocker did not go well. You never reach a live person on the pharmacy line at the only location where this drug is available for free. I left a message with all pertinent data and their message stated if there were any issues they would contact me. I waited a week, with 2 pills remaining, and called again and left another message. I was called back within half an hour. The lovely clerk let me know my prescription was ready for pick up. I advised her that I specifically asked for my meds to be put into Canada Post as I live 64kms round trip from their location. Their message clearly said if there was a problem they would call, which they hadn't. I also said whoever took the renewal details also heard my request so they cannot deny not knowing. She asked if I would come and pick them up. I said no, please put them in the mail. She said it will take 5 to 10 days for them to be delivered. I repeated, put them in the mail. She said they won't go out until tomorrow. I said put them in the mail. Groan! So they were put in the mail on a Tuesday. I had a pill for Tuesday and one for Wednesday. During this time I went on line and put in a formal complaint to the cancer agency. On Thursday morning, I rushed down to get the mail as I had no pills left. A miracle happened! My pills had arrived. As I returned home, my phone was ringing. The caller was from the cancer agency to discuss my complaint. I said I am educated, articulate and English is my first language. Their system failed me. How does someone who is ill, elderly, using a second language navigate a system that does not perform as it promises? Hopefully my complaint will make life easier for others. I also said how lucky I am to have had so few glitches in my cancer journey.

Next on the agenda is focusing on weight loss which continues to be a challenge as I am still rebuilding my iron levels. Most foods high in iron are also high in either carbs or fat. I know, I know, but I can only eat so much kale and dark green leafy veggies and nuts are not an option unless it is nut butter. I am a work in progress!

I am still exercising with small weights to rebuild my chest muscles and I am seeing a distinct difference. I am being cautious as I continue to experience muscle pain. Sometimes wearing shapers and stuffies are uncomfortable and dig into my skin. To solve this issue I deconstructed two sports bras and cut out a small mixing bowl sized circles. Then I put a layer of quilt batting and sewed them all together. This resulted in a padded disk that I can place over my scar and protect my skin. I works amazingly well.

And my journey continues!

Comments