Polar Bear Tea

What the world needs now is a warm hug so off I went on a vacation I had planned before my cancer experience started. Luckily the timing meant that I was healthy enough to travel by the time the trip dates arrived.

An important part of the cancer experience is making sure your life is not consumed by cancer. I had let my relationships drift during my illness but I am so fortunate that my relationships stuck to me like barnacles. Even when I was not well enough to stay in touch, all my friends made the effort to check in and make sure I was all right physically and emotionally. It is such an easy way to find out who your true friends are. I am blessed!

Pre flight, I packed, unpacked, packed, unpacked and finally I tossed in warm clothes and snow boots. Who knew that September was referred to as Snow-tember for the past 4 years? The first 3 days were lovely but windy with leaves flying around in exotic patterns. I was loved up by my friend and her wonderful companion Lucy who while snuggling up to me, shed dog hair all over me. It was a mutual admiration society. Lucy instinctively knew I needed her although we had never met, and she gave me her all. We kept very busy, had loads of giggles and belly laughs, enjoyed great food, and shopped until we dropped.

I am part of the www.cancerconnection.ca group and was very fortunate to connect in person with a new friend. We had laughs, hugs, poignant moments, but most of all we have formed a life long friendship that will survive anything that comes our way. Again I am blessed.

By day 4 the snow had arrived and after spending a fun time with my gal pals, we went home for a quiet time for recharging. Then we sat and watched the snow flakes swirl. By evening, we were down one gal pal, whose immune system had crashed so my other pal was left to entertain me. I think her husband was glad we were out and about in the snow but we didn't venture very far. Our time together was very special because you have time to think, express yourself and discuss issues without worrying about long distance costs, or not seeing the other persons face.

My poor sick pal was still ill the day before I returned home, but we all went for Pho soup and I have not caught any germs. Yay!

So here is the thing about getting away for a change of scenery. I found out while away that I had been depressed when I was home. It is hard to see depression as it can be very insidious. I only recognized my condition by changing my environment. Now I know the problem, I can watch for it and be proactive. I can get out walking, visit friends, go out for coffee or a meal, and re-join the groups that I belong to. ( Ok that was a dangling participle. Forgive me!)

Please be mindful of your mental health as well as your physical well-being. It takes both to recover.

Comments

Post a Comment