Chai tea served to me

The next week was filled with resting, dealing with pain using over the counter meds, eating healthy food, did I say resting, and dealing with every day functions. Because of the drain, I was not allowed to shower; however, I also did not have the strength to shower the first week. I managed to wash my hair in the kitchen sink on the third day, using one hand. It was a bit tricky but with the faucet wand I managed to end up with clean hair and a fairly dry kitchen!

Once again, having a great network of friends was a true blessing which I hope to be able to pay forward. Friends dropped by with books, candies, flowers, cheery cards, yummy curries, chicken noodle soup, brownies, fresh fruit, and milk which is a staple in my household. Visits were really appreciated and I managed to stay awake for most of them! Everyone allowed me to describe my amazing experience with the many doctors, nurses, and auxiliary staff who helped me transition during a stressful time.

By the second week, I was wearing big girl clothes, becoming more active, and stretching my range of movement in gentle increments. Although I was not exercising at this point, but likely should have been, I made sure I was working towards regaining the use of my arm without being in pain.

I ran into a problem with my drain almost two weeks into my recovery. Overnight the output came to a grinding halt. I did all the suggested things to restart it to no avail.  After 48 hours, I realized I looked pregnant with a knee sticking out of my tummy. Yikes!  So I put my brain and puzzle solving tools to work.  I detached the bulb from the tube and completely cleaned the bulb and the entrance valve so water could flow into it. Then I tackled the tube which was or seemed to be 3 feet long but probably was much shorter. With the bulb still detached I felt I had a much better chance of clearing the tube. I got the tube cleared by massaging it so that most of the tube was once again working.  The last 8 inches, however, were still blocked.  Out came the scissors. One word of warning. Fluids flow in the direction of gravity. When I snipped the tube, fluid flowed. Thank goodness I was standing at the sink, and that I had the presence of mind to hold the cut end of the tube over my head. I was dealing with Niagara Falls! I quickly filled a vial used to measure output, and placed the bulb back on the tube. I was once again in business.

Comments

Post a Comment