Calming down with Chamomile tea

It took  some time to process the fact that the ultrasound technician was worried about a particular location on my breast and kept returning to it for better imaging. Once I felt able to talk coherently, I phoned my friend and told her I was in trouble. Two years prior she had a lumpectomy which involved two surgeries, chemo, radiation, and a daily pill for five years to fight stage 3 cancer including a cancerous lymph node. I felt extremely lucky to have her recent experience to draw upon. Questions arise randomly and to be able to discuss them with a friend helped to calm me down. Her cancer is under control and although there are no 100% guarantees, she has beaten it.

The following day my family doctor called with an appointment to discuss my site specific mammogram and ultrasound. On March 19 my doctor told me I had breast cancer and that she recommended an immediate meeting with a surgeon to discuss my options. To prepare me, I was advised that treatment would likely include chemo and radiation.

I spent many tearful, thoughtful days wondering about the timeframe for getting access to a surgeon and what the recommendations would be. With my family history, I felt my path was clear. The thought of travelling 64 kms round trip to get treatment, when treatment makes you ill and you cannot drive yourself, was a huge concern. Having seen first hand what treatment did to my friend's health, her body, bone density, and appetite, not to mention her hair and nails, the idea of going through the same regime was terrifying.

Also, you know when you are told you will see a surgeon, that the treatment will involve an invasive procedure. I got the call and a meeting was set up for April 2nd. This was less than a month from the date of my original mammogram and the speed of my cancer path was in itself frightening.

Ladies, even after the ultrasound, even after learning of the location of the cancerous cyst, I was never able to locate it nor feel a lump.  Do not rely on self breast exams if you want to live. Keep current with your mammograms. Your family will thank you for it.

Comments