I am still enjoying breakfast tea, its Irish!

I did not realize there was anything unusual about my regularly scheduled mammogram. I had received a notice in January and finally called for an appointment a month later. I was surprised the wait was two weeks, but as I found out later, another two weeks would not have made any difference.

Two days after my mammogram, the family doctor's office phoned for a recall mammogram scheduled for March 14th. However, at this point my health had started spiralling out of control. I noticed a flea bite on my right hip where the seam of my blue jeans was rubbing. Of course, I had to contort my body to see it.  My breast and my stomach were in the way! Then the area looked like it had more flea bites. It made no sense to me as I had not been around any animals. Also when I turned 65 I had received a shingles vaccine. At 4 a.m. on March 10, I drove myself to emergency. I was in excruciating shooting pain at the site of the flea bites. As I checked into the front desk and explained that I believed I had shingles, I was seen almost immediately. The diagnosis was confirmed with some reservation, ie if the rash appeared on the opposite side of the body, or worsened. So I was immediately give two antiviral pills that were each almost one inch in size. Or at least it seemed like it!  A week of the antivirals managed to knock back the shingles, but the pain was incredible over the 7 days. I spent a great deal of time pacing my apartment in agony. I survived!  Now I know that I should have received the new two dose vaccine as the single dose was only 50% effective, and I was on the wrong side of the 50%!

On March 14, I had my recall mammogram which was described as site specific. They focused on two sites, one on each breast. I was then sent out of the room and asked not to get dressed until a technician met with me.  I was then told I had a 1:30 pm appointment for an ultra sound. As it was already after 1 pm, I was asked if I knew I had this appointment, and if I was all right to wait for it. Of course it would be silly to go home and delay the ultra sound so I waited.

The technician was lovely and spent an inordinate amount of time focussing on my right breast. I knew at that point that I was in serious trouble. I drove home with tears in my eyes.

Comments

  1. Wow, mamabear, what a story to tell. It's a wake up call for every woman, regardless of age. You're a brave one. Muchos abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment