Jasmine tea might suit me

Early July, I had a dental checkup and cleaning. I never thought about protecting myself from bleeding and infection but I was told to protect myself on the side of my surgery. Luckily my hygienist is gentle and no dental work was required.

I never understood the importance of what I was told to do nor for how long.
Don't garden without gloves.
Wash dishes wearing gloves.
Be mindful of cuts.
Never have blood taken from the surgery side.
Never have blood pressure taken on the surgery side.

These instructions last a lifetime. I thought it was only during the time of healing. Because there are no obvious veins in my arm, my lab technician, who can only work with one of my hands, has become an expert at finding a healthy vein to draw from. Kudos to her!

Finally I get to meet my permanent oncologist. It is a big day, especially since my appointments are in the afternoon which is nap time. I have my priorities, you know! In total, I was away from home for five hours including travel time. It was gruelling to say the least.

My first appointment was in the physiotherapy department. Both arms were re-measured. It was found, only the wrist on the surgery side was slightly larger than pre-surgery. A good result and I am pleased. I learned a better way to massage the scar and surgical area. Mainly, massage away from the lymph nodes to help them drain properly, and to prevent a build up of fluid. This explanation was much better than what I was told pre-surgery.

The physiotherapist also gave me several helpful pamphlets and showed me a variety of exercises to help regain a full range of motion. One of my dear friends has given me small weights and I am using them to rebuild the muscles on my chest wall. At the moment, my chest wall is slightly concave and I am hoping with exercise I can build the muscle and fill in the divot. I also showed her my scar and she told me how to care for it and that I can continue to use a diaper barrier cream to lessen the irritation in the summer heat.

Then I have a cup of tea and a granola bar, and I hurry up and wait for my oncologist appointment.

Comments