Lemon Zinger to celebrate

You might be wondering why I did not have a double mastectomy.  Two simple reasons. One, I was not offered. Two, even if given the option, I felt that at my age and living alone, I would not have been able to cope. As I was to find out, recovering from amputating one breast due to cancer was about all I could handle.

It was a matter of days when the surgeon's nurse phoned with the date and time of my surgery.

 May 6, 2019.

So for my 70th birthday I was given a cancer diagnosis and a date for surgery. I spent a week crying in the bath, weeping over the upcoming loss of my femininity, despairing at the mutilation, and being very angry at the very bad breast that had put me in this untenable position. And then I said enough is enough. You are on the train and it has left the station. Get over yourself and move on.

One of my favourite Calgary pals visited the last week in April and after having much fun, we spent an entire morning making frozen dinners for after surgery.  The goal was to make healthy meals, easy to reheat, so that if I was not able to look after myself in the kitchen, I would be able to promote healing by eating healthily. It turns out this was one of the smartest things I did. It was a life saver. The only factor I did not take into account was the height of the over the stove microwave. More on that later.

On April 26, I had a phone interview with a nurse who reviewed my health, and what to expect, before during and after surgery.

On April 30, I was back in Surrey for several appointments. I met with the anesthesiologist who interviewed me about my general health and previous surgeries. He was so darn cute!
Next I had a group meeting, first with a nurse who showed the group how to manage body fluid drains, and reviewed all the symptoms to watch for after surgery. Then a physiotherapist measured both arms circumferences at seven or eight locations on each arm. I was told these measurements would be checked again after one month, six months and one year. Finally I met with a social worker who asked how she could help. I explained one of my concerns was transportation to and from treatment so she arranged for a Handidart bus pass.She gave me contact information for the cancer volunteer drivers.  Also she had various brochures on healthy eating and dealing with diagnosis and treatment options.

So now I am all set for cancer surgery. 75 minutes under the knife. Ask me if I am scared!

Comments