Long Island Ice Tea suits me

Ok brace yourself, it is results day. On April 11 I meet again with my surgeon who has the results of the biopsy. I don't think I was in any doubt of the results but hearing the words out loud for a second time means there is no where to hide. Breast Cancer. A one centimeter tumor located in the centre of my breast in the upper half.

So here is the point at which my brain says, Why Not Me? Breast cancer diagnoses are common. I fall into the age range with the most woman receiving this diagnosis. In addition I have family history. So Why Not Me, really means, what has taken so long!

The surgeon and the nurse get right to the point. Here are your options. 1. Mastectomy. I replied Yes. The surgeon's eyebrows shot up and made the comment was That was quick. Well, no, actually the decision was a lifetime in the making.  It was not a spur of the moment knee jerk response. It was well thought out in advance.  Option 2 was a lumpectomy. The surgeon felt the need to explain all the options even though I had already given my decision. A lumpectomy could trigger certain possibilities. Firstly a second surgery to remove cancer cells that had been missed in the first surgery and likely a guarantee of chemo and radiation. Again I did not feel option two made any sense. It would extend my treatment for up to a year and result in horrific side effects.

The nurse stood up and came around behind me to a bank of small drawers and pulled out a stuffy fake breast to check for size.  I was shocked, surprised, and grateful. So much so that in the next week I proceeded to make three more stuffies to use after the surgery.

When the surgeon realized that I was firm in my decision, I was told surgery would likely take place within two weeks. This sent me into a panic. I looked the surgeon in the eye and said No. Again the surgeon's eye brows shot up. I shrugged and said my best friend was arriving from Calgary the last week of the month and her plans could not be changed. The surgeon said a nurse would phone in the next day or so to confirm a date for surgery. And we wait.

Comments