Pina Colada Rooibos Tea for me

The phone call gave me a date with the oncologist in over three weeks time. This was fine because all my results showed I was low risk so I could afford to wait.  Two days later I received a phone call asking me to meet the next day with an oncologist because there was a cancellation. So off I went.

My oncologist was a locum filling in for my permanent oncologist, and I liked him very much. He was candid, succinct, and caring. He prescribed Letrozole, an estrogen blocker, daily for five years. I was told to avoid all herbal remedies including some of the weird herbal teas.

Because I had a mastectomy I was told I would not need radiation. Chemo however was still on the table but to date, it has not been mentioned again. I had an upper body physical. He said my scar was beautiful and the surgeon did an exceptional job. I have nothing to compare it to, but I am reasonably happy, keeping in mind, my body looks different.

As he pushed and prodded my tummy and I said Ouch, he decided to order an ultra sound. He thought it might be my gall bladder but would wait to see what the test revealed. I was offered an opportunity to participate in a cancer study and I agreed. I spent a fair bit of time meeting with the person working in the cancer study to obtain my history.  To see if I would be a good candidate, I was given DNA blood testing vials to take to my local lab.

One of the items that I highlighted on my patient form for the oncology department was my concern over bone density. They would arrange for a bone density scan. Again  I was asked to provide more blood.

Before I could pick up my prescription only available at the hospital, I had to meet with the pharmacist. The next available appointment was the next day so again I was on the road, another 64 kms. I was asked to take extra calcium and given lots of information including the free prescription.

Before I could blink, I had an ultrasound to look at my tummy.

Comments