Sipping mint tea or maybe mint julep

My first big road trip to Surrey, 64 kms round trip and I don't want to go alone! I have my first meet and greet with the surgeon. Who will I get, will I like them, and even more importantly, are they any good?  Check out Rate my MD to see how yours scores for ability, promptness, etc.

I am so lucky my friend agreed to come with me and that meant I had to keep it together!  She had also spent a year travelling back and forth for treatment so she knew the ropes. We found the building, I learned how to pay for parking, where the washrooms are, what floor to go to, where to check in, and where to put the coloured folder at the final station. I was in a fog and couldn't have done it without serious help!

My surgeon had my chart, did a physical exam, and said go for lunch, your biopsy and titanium implant will happen at 2:30 but be back here by 2.00pm.  This is what I learned.  Once you walk through their doors, your life is in their hands. When they said jump, I asked how high. Seldom did I show up and not have extra procedures over and above what was planned.  I was being rushed through the system.

Lunch was great. We even shared a chocolate brownie decadent dessert.  What the heck! At this point how could dessert hurt?  Providing I made healthy choices for meals, the occasional treat was good if it helped my mindset. Right?

The biopsy and implant were not a big deal from a pain perspective.  Everyone whom I came in contact with was kind, gentle, made sure I was comforted, and my dignity was preserved. Of course, as of today's date, I have little dignity left, but that will be expanded upon as my print journey continues.

Comments