Sleepy time tea for me

My dear friend, who is like a sister (but will insist she is like a daughter!) drove me home from surgery. We were both prepared with plastic bags in the event I felt queasy ( I didn't). I was given strict instructions to stay alert as I was the navigator on the trip home. Thankfully the route was an easy one. I felt very happy to be home but my neighbour whose door I knocked on to announce my homecoming, said my face was very pale. It is a good thing she didn't tell me this until several days later or I would have been worried!

My driver made sure I was tucked in on the couch and set me up with a glass of water. Then my neighbour dropped by to make me tea and brought a slice of loaf cake. I was being careful not to over do the consumption of food until I was sure I was not going to be queasy. After everyone had gone home, I had a bowl of shredded wheat with milk. It seemed to be a gentle light meal after my ordeal.

When I changed into my jammies I saw that I was wearing a smocked tube top that acted like a compression bandage, and it had a dressing underneath over the stitches. At bedtime, I took an extra strength Advil and had difficulty sleeping because I had to lay in one position without rolling around. The ladies auxiliary of my local hospital had provided a free seatbelt cushion and another curved cushion to place under the armpit. This helped to take the pressure off the incision and also away from the tender armpit area. It was a blessing to have these cushions and I still use them both to this day.

I may have taken more meds during the night but I never felt the need to fill the heavy duty pain meds prescription that the doctor sent me home with. We women are strong and can easily handle the pain. This doesn't mean I suffered. I made sure if I was feeling sore I took another pill.

Morning dawned and I was faced with a whole new world and how to cope with it. Thankfully my neighbour was on the phone quite early making sure I was awake and functioning fine. What a great gift friends are!

Comments