Strawberry Tea but not for me

So as healing progressed, I got more impatient. I am a good patient if I am really sick, and I am very patient if I am healthy, but when I am neither here nor there, I just want to be better! I don't imagine I am any different from anyone else. The frustration levels increase because you think you can do something but when you try, you realize you are too tired, too weak, or uncoordinated.

As the long weekend approached I knew I had to do something about the drain. Yes, hindsight is 20/20. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had the stitch removed but the drain left in.
As it happened, my skin grew over the stitch so every breath, every slight movement resulted in a pulling burning pain. Of course, the positive side was my friend said my incision would heal well because if I took my pierced earrings out, the skin would grow over. I was always quick to heal.

I went to the clinic to have the drain removed when I was on the cusp of having drained enough fluid and needing  the drain left in for another week. As I said, the drain should have been left in and the tube taped to my body instead of stitched to my skin. Then maybe I wouldn't be in the position I am in today with a 5 inch--12 cm sac filled with fluid on my liver. It does not hurt, my tummy sticks out, but I do make sloshing sounds from time to time. So classy!

A week later I had my appointment with my surgeon with the results from biopsies taken from 4 sites, three in the breast and one sentinel node. STAGE ONE!  Hooray! Also the nodes were all cancer free!  My friend who accompanied me to the appointment was in the waiting room when I came out of the examination room. I looked at her as she walked over to leave the office, and I turned to her and all I said was Steak and Lobster!  I couldn't form any words to describe my happiness. By the time we were in the elevator I was in tears. Good tears of relief!

The next step was waiting for a phone call to get my appointment with the oncologist.

Comments