Tea time

Maybe it is time to invite someone in to my world. I am not suffering alone and when I tell people I am depressed, they spring to action. I get it. Everyone has a busy life. Please be aware of your surroundings and the people you interact with. Not everyone is able to verbalize their need for help.

In my case I reached out to a new friend who discovered that one of the side effects of my cancer meds is depression. Now I know it is not me. Because my medication is a hormone blocker I cannot imagine the oncologist allowing me to add estrogen to alleviate the depression.

Simply knowing the depression is medically induced gives me some hope. Although I was very weepy one day, the next two days have improved my outlook. Also hormones are not static. They will naturally change in intensity from day to day. What I have learned is on the next blue day, I need to eat more chocolate, drink some wine, spend time with a friend, or go for a walk. I need to take action to change my mood.

Besides depression I am experiencing an unusually high degree of joint pain. I have had joint pain most of my adult life but this amount is much higher than the norm. I will speak to my doctor about these new side effects.

I also found out from the list of seemingly one hundred other side effects, my meds can increase my appetite, decrease my appetite (really!), increase my cholesterol levels, increase my blood pressure, etc. etc.  I sometimes wonder if they don't just print every side effect known to man, just to cover all the bases.

It is sunny and crisp today. I will try to stay positive.

Comments