Loose Leaf Tea

It was an extremely busy week but once you are on the cancer journey, your days are not your own.

I left the house one morning at 9 a.m. for a 35 minute trip to see my oncologist. This allowed extra time for traffic problems and going in circles trying to find a parking spot. Since I was early, I stopped at the grocery store near by for oats. Then I checked in and waited. The doctor said she normally would not see me again but because she was changing my medication, I would have one final visit in May 2020 unless I could not tolerate the new prescription. She also ordered a mammogram for my remaining breast. I am waiting to hear what day I have to go all the way back there for my appointment. I love driving in winter weather.

It was stated that the pharmacy wanted to review the rules for taking the new medication and did I want an appointment. My request was for an appointment that day so I did not need to make another 64 km round trip. I received an appointment time of 2 p.m. Keep in mind it was now only 10:45 a.m.

So I went out to my car, lost an hour of prepaid parking, and searched for the nearest White Spot restaurant. I let the greeter know I would be their guest for a couple of hours and sat down to enjoy a coffee and my book before reviewing the lunch menu.

I trekked back to the hospital at 1:30 p.m. and finally got to see the pharmacist at 2:20 p.m. After reviewing the rules with me, they then handed me a sheet with the rules. I received a 30 days supply because there is a shortage in my country of this specific medication which should be resolved by the end of the year. My understanding is there are patients in smaller communities who are struggling to fill their prescriptions. This is totally unacceptable!

I headed off home and was home before 3:30 p.m. So basically a 6 and a half hour day. Really.

The following day I headed out for a road trip in a different direction to a medical shop which specializes in breast prosthetics. They were warm, welcoming, and took their time. They were kind to admire my battle scar. After trying on different brands, shapes, weights, sizes, and bras with pockets, it was decided that we were getting close to perfect. They are ordering in some additional samples so I can make my final decision. At the end of the day, this will have to be my Christmas present to myself as it will cost close to $600 and will need to be replaced every couple of years. By the way, don't ever drop it as it will shatter like an egg! Really! What happens in a car crash when the seat belt and air bag demolish it? The paramedics will probably freak out!

Next, family doctor appointment and mammogram. The journey continues!

Comments