Memorable Tea

Thank you for following my journey. Today is 6 months from the date of surgery and 6 months from the date of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor's birth. Yes, I am now forever connected to the royal family!

So where am I today?

On Monday I had my 6 month follow-up with the lovely physiotherapist. I have healed well. My arm muscles are strong. I have no sign of lymphedema which is a swelling of the arm, including tingling, numbness, fullness. This condition can occur any time in the future so I need to monitor my arms and continue the massage exercises that were taught at the hospital training course.

My physio also mentioned that if I fail to get a silicone fake boob with weight, to put into my bra, that I will eventually damage my spine, back muscles, and posture. Even though I do not see it, my body will slowly react to the imbalance and compensate for the lop-sidedness. So an appointment with a boob and bra fitter will be next on my list.

She also mentioned that the numbness of the skin surrounding the incision which feels similar to a numb cheek after being frozen at the dentist, is something that will repair itself over time. I thought I had to live with the numbness which I believe is due to the severing of the nerves during the mastectomy. Not so! I have been instructed to use different textured items like paper towel, a facecloth, the back of a plastic spoon, and rub them over my skin for several minutes a day for stimulation. Who knew?

All in all I am healing well. My mental well-being has improved immensely. Physically, I will see my family doctor, who is returning from maternity leave soon, for a prescription renewal. At that time I will request my ferritin-iron levels be retested, as well as cholesterol because of the Letrozole I had been taking. In addition, I will find out the date of my next mammogram. I believe I am supposed to be on a 6 month recall but I don't know when the clock started ticking!

November 19, I return to my oncologist for a checkup and a prescription for Tamoxifen.

Happy crisp sunshine!

Comments