Black (Friday) Tea

I have been on Tamoxifen for several weeks and so far there are no obvious side effects with the exception that I feel a bit warmer. This is a good thing because I am always cold!

I travelled some distance with a friend to have a final fitting for my breast prosthetic. I compared several brassieres and chose one that fit well. Then I was fitted with 2 options for breasts and chose the one that made me look symmetrical. It was an emotional experience and I welled up, likely because with an opaque bra and a form inside, I looked finally like my old self. It was as if the last 9 months had not happened.

It is not that I am not proud of my scar. I am. I went through a lot and I survived. But that glimpse of who I used to be was a complete feeling of relief and joy. And oh my goodness, I am standing taller and it looks like I have lost 10 pounds. I can wear my old clothes and not try to disguise the missing body part. I stand proud. I feel proud.

I am not sure what the women do who are low income and chose not to have reconstructive surgery. The cost of the bra with prosthetic was more than half a grand. But it is grand. Feeling whole is priceless as the commercial says.

My next appointment was a visit to my family doctor who has been on maternity leave since she told me I had breast cancer. Her baby girl was born the day after my birthday. We did a quick review of the last 8 months and she wondered why I had not been given chemo and radiation. I said it was not offered, and likely, I would have refused if I had been given an option. She reviewed the post surgery biopsy results. She told me that my cancer was not estrogen driven, nor was it something else. My results put me on the cusp and they did not know what to target with chemo. This is all news to me. I was not told this, nor given a choice. Sometimes, I suppose, ignorance is bliss.

Today I had fasting blood work for cholesterol and also I am having my ferritin or iron levels checked.  The results will be posted by the lab on line. Next I need to order the renewal of my new cancer drug.

Lab results are in and I passed with flying colours. I am normal. Who knew?

Finally I have an appointment for a mammogram on the breast that is left on January 2, 2020.

So far so good!

Comments