Christmas Tea

It has been 9 extremely long months since I heard the word Cancer. It has been almost a year since I have felt healthy. Even though my physical exam a month prior to diagnosis did not show anything amiss, I should likely have mentioned to my doctor that I had been struggling. It is now water under the bridge. What I have learned is mention every symptom and let the doctor filter through to find the ones that are important.

So here we are. Another Christmas without family. Now before you get your shirt in a knot, probably 40% of my holidays are spent without relatives. This means 40% of my holidays are stress free except for the stress of traveling to homes of my dear friends.

This year has been all about reducing my stress. If I am home alone on the big day, then I will treat myself to a walk, a lovely dinner, indulge in watching sappy movies, and possibly even spend the day in my PJ's. Although walking the neighbourhood and cooking in my PJ's can be hazardous to my health. I may need to rethink the PJ's!

Many people equate the words loneliness with being alone. They are totally not the same thing. I can happily spend the day alone. There are those who cannot. To be successful at being alone, you need to look outwards, not focus inwards. I am happy in my own skin. Isn't that a good thing! I would look scary in someone else's skin! Focus on activities. Find ways to help others. Do those nagging chores around the house. Reach out to others electronically so you do not feel isolated. Step outside your front door!

Today I am healthy. No one knows how long this will last. No one knows if cancer will once again rear its ugly head. No one knows what the check out date is. All I can say is if you have loved ones that you have not reached out to for a while, check in. Regret is a huge word that eats at your very soul.

When you tell a loved one you do not want a relationship, make sure you mean it. Don't wonder why no one gets in touch. Be specific. If you don't want to meet in person, say so. If you want electronic contact then say so. No one wants to reach out and be ignored and rebuffed over and over.

Whatever you are doing, whoever you are with, enjoy the holidays. That is my plan this year. Love the one you're with.

Comments