Scalding Tea

Life is slowly returning to normal. We are gathering to knit together, albeit in the park on lawn chairs at a respectable 6 feet apart. It is so much fun to gather for girl time and to work out problems on patterns and projects.

As you may know, last year during my cancer diagnosis, I came down with shingles which is an unbelievably painful disease. I was told to wait a year for the 2 dose shingles vaccine to allow it to be more effective. I waited 15 months and had the first vaccine on Wednesday. It is a complicated process. First you get a prescription. Then you get it filled the day of the doctor's appointment and keep the vaccine on ice but not frozen. Then you go to the doctor for the injection. I expected a little discomfort at the injection site. I did not expect to awake Thursday morning with a temperature of 39.9 Celsius. I felt quite foggy. I made breakfast, took an ibuprofen, and fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up I took my temperature and I was down to 37.5. Yay! So I brushed my teeth, had a quick shower, put on clean PJ's and made lunch. Then I happily fell asleep again. Today I am well except for the swollen injection site, ache, and heat coming from it.

Today I am catching up on chores, thinking about a healthy lunch, looking forward to sketching, reading my book, and napping in front of the television. I am a bit nervous about the second shingles injection which must take place 2 to 6 months from now. In case I have a similar reaction, I will make sure the day after the injection is a day free of activities in case I crash and burn again.

My sketching today will be a la Picasso. I am to sketch a human face without looking at the page. As you can imagine this will likely produce facial features which are not where they are supposed to be. In art class the process is the most important part. The result is a by-product of the process. This is an interesting concept, isn't it? Give it a try. I am.

Comments